Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Define Organic Cosmetics

I searched the title, "define organic cosmetics", after being so influenced by Viva Woman on how we should keep things natural. And this is the best result I got: Organic Cosmetics for Natural Beauty! The other top hits are just reiteration of what she wrote.

I think the best info that I have learned from here, is that there are certifications for organic cosmetics. Those touted to be organic but without the certified stamp, are products out to cheat your money.

Some Western organic-certified logos, picture credit to Organic Cosmetics for Natural Beauty!

And the next best info to know, is that
"A serious problem with ethoxylated surfactants (those that utilise ethylene or propylene oxide in the chemical reaction) is that they can be contaminated with dioxane, a potent carcinogen."


Plus,
"All compounds containing TEA, DEA and MEA can undergo nitrosation with other chemicals to form nitrosamines, which are carcinogenic. One study has found that over 40% of products containing triethanolamine (TEA) were contaminated with these potent carcinogens."


All these info kind of gets to you, and eat into your conscience about how you are not taking care of your body if you use inorganic skincare.

Anyway, the solution, of course, is to go organic, and trust the organization that gives those certificates. You can read about what the really organic substances are in that article I linked.

So this gets me going to BudCosmetics. A place recommended by Viva Woman. When I was Novena Square 2 the last time, I did not see this shop... ...

BudCosmetics homepage - Zuji Organics is an organic certified makeup, the lipstick is reviewed to be very good by Viva Woman, here.

What I love about BudCosmetics website is that they put up all the prices clearly, so that customers can shop online. Square 2 is not all that accessible, so if you do not want to make a special trip down there, you can check out your items online.

Also, they list the ingredients in a nothing to hide manner, as many of the products are certified natural or certified organic.

I thought organic things are usually more expensive, but they actually have more affordable ranges, around $30-$40, which matches up to what popular flagship stores like The Body Shop, The Face Shop, and Skin Food are selling. Of course, there are those $100++ bottles too.

If it is roughly the same price, my thought is, why not make a switch? =) For my sensitive skin, I will have to be trying brands like Longona and Sante, which have everything from makeup removers, toners to makeup, and body care.

You may want to try it too. =)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually thr is no perticular definition for it.Many people today are shifting to organic products now. These have the less chemicals and artificial products when compaired to others. natural Organic cosmetics on your skin gives your face a much better and healthier look than any other cosmetics. And it will also keep your skin pores open and glowing.

Lets Go Organic

Saturday, August 1, 2009 at 1:44:00 PM GMT+8  
Blogger Meng Xue said...

I am adverse to the idea of putting toxic on my skin. I try to use products as natural and organic as possible, as long as I can afford it. I wish that organic products would pick up quickly in US/Europe, then prices will be pushed way down. Otherwise organic remains a luxury for the common person, and many will be held back from conversion.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:26:00 PM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home